History of Campbell-DeWitt Funeral Home
On November 5, 1949 the funeral home today known as Campbell-DeWitt
Funeral Home was originally opened as George Pruitt and John
Hickey Sr. Funeral Home. Both Mr. Pruitt and Mr. Hickey were former
employees of the Drye Funeral Home in Lebanon, Kentucky. The funeral
home was operated at this location and by this name until it was
sold and later operated under the name of Manakee-Myers and Hickey
Funeral Home. The funeral home was operated in this manner until
it was sold in 1969 to Mr. Bob Massey and operated as such until
it was destroyed by fire in 1974.
The funeral home was rebuilt on the same site and operated until
it was sold to Mr. Eli J. George. The funeral home was operated
as the Eli J. George Funeral Home until he took on a partner, Chesley
Campbell, and it was then operated as George and Campbell Funeral
Home. At Mr. George's death the funeral home was purchased by Mr.
Campbell and was then known as Campbell Funeral Home until January
1, 1992, when it was purchased by Mr. Larry DeWitt. The funeral
home today is known as Campbell-DeWitt Funeral Home and
is still under the ownership of Mr. Larry DeWitt.